Thursday, November 13, 2008

Nano post #6: in which i crack under the pressure

It's Day number 13.

To stay in line with the quota, i should be at 21,971 words by the end of tonight.

Current word count: 17,251

I'm only currently behind by almost 4.5 thousand words.........>.<

I sit here at work Monday through Thursday this month (because i thought ahead and took all friday's OFF! Go me for thinking ahead!) tapping my fingers on my cubicle desk anxiously waiting for 5 o'clock to roll aound so that i can rush home and start writing again in a vain attempt to eventually get ahead of the quota again. Only to be intterupted by massive amounts of phone calls, a desire to go out to dinner for steak, friends IMing me asking to hang out, or me asking friends what they think about a certain aspect of my story or to have them predict the future 30 years from now.
I talk to my sister about Manhattan and the lifestyle the people live with there. Since she's one of the few people i know that have spent an extended period of time visiting and roaming around Manhattan (she's been going there about once a year since she was a kid). She gets there and blends in almost instantly. When i went when i was 18, i spent the entire time bumbling around terrified of the massive amounts of people, watching my sister expertly navigating the crowds.
There's really only one problem with this tactic. My sister is an annalytical thinker with little imagination when it comes to things that could be as opposed to as they are.

I'm frustrated. I know that eventually i can edit my story once i take my own trip to New York in the spring but I'm finding it hard to write things without a clue as to what it's like. I don't know what the streets i've chosen from my Manhattan City guide oragami map (BEST thing EVER if you go to new york to get is a oragami map) So much to my chagrin, i'm basically basing a lot of my scenery off of Sex and the City.

I really want to just give up, but my competative side won't let me and i know that. I have to win this challenge. I'm not the kind of person that gives up even when it starts looking like a futile task. For some reason i'm begingin to get the impression that starting Thanksgiving night, i'm basically only going to leave my laptop for the bread and water and the bathroom because i will be that far behind.

Oh and as far as cracking under the pressure: I told myself at the begining of this that it would be wrong to write while at work. And until today (at least i made it almost halfway) i stuck with that. However yesterday i was surfing the internet waiting for someone to assign me a task and i finally cracked and opened my online version and started writing again. I made over a thousand words throughout the day.
I know this was bad and not a very good indicator of my generally awsome work ethic but in my defense...all of my work was done. Inboxes were empty, task log completely crossed off, and there was nothing more i could do until the next day not even to get ahead of myself. I even went around and checked with my team to see if they needed an extra set of hands to take care of some of their work. When i recived a No response from every single one of them, i began to write furiously.
Sometimes, i love my job. (when i don't have to work with a single moody person).

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>