Wednesday, March 6, 2013

DIY No-Drain Puppy patch for Apartments

Shameless i'm in love with my dog plug->; 
Besides the normal adorableness of simply being a puppy, shes silly, smart, and learning all sorts of new things. But she's not yappy at all! I'm serious...she almost never barks, is good with other dogs, people and even children. No food or toy aggression except when she forgets your hand is not part of her toy collection. Really, Boyfriend Jon and I have a wonderful dog and she has really become part of our family.

Probably the most impressive feat is her bowel control. She not only never messes her crate, but figured out the pee pads in a few weeks, and now at 5 months only has accidents where she's slightly off the pee pad. But we started noticing a slight problem. She's SO good at holding her pee, she won't go when she's out for a walk. We have to stay out there and wait for her ability to hold it to run out. Otherwise, she makes a mad dash for the pee pads when we get back home. We've tried rewarding and praising her whenever she does go outside but the message doesn't seem to be sticking. The obvious solution would be to make the grass her exclusive potty. But we live on the 3rd floor and I'm not walking down 3 flights of stairs first thing at 6:00am in winter in the northwest. Not happening. Period. Exclamation point!

So Boyfriend Jon and I started brainstorming solutions to this problem.

The obvious solution seemed to be get a potty patch, porch potty, patio potty, piddle patch, deck dumping ground. whatever you want to call it.

But what i came to realize is that those things are either too small or outrageously expensive!

AS SEEN ON TV!
I don't know about you, but almost all of those items i've seen on tv are cheap, fall apart or less than functional when used in real world situations. It's a great idea in concept, but i doubt it will work well in real life. Also, i don't really want to have to deal with a resivoir of pee.
CUSTOM BUILT FANCY VERSION
300$ for a potty that has built in sprinklers to help keep the odor down? I personally don't have that kind of money to flush.
SOD OPTION!
I've seen lots of diy mini sod gardens. Great idea! But in order to not create a sespool of fermenting pee-mud, you need to drain them. Which i'm pretty sure my downstairs neighbor wouldn't appreciate.
ASTRO-TURF
Similar to the sod garden, this idea uses astro-turf in place of the sod. While great idea in theory, you run into the same problem as sod...you need to have a drain of some kind  Also...it's nearly impossible to find a rug size piece of astro-turf. You either have to buy enough to cover your entire living room, or several tiny squares which makes it cost-ineffective.

I took all the great ideas the internet had to offer and refined them to suit my apartment where i can't drain it off the side. I think a lot of people have this problem. Probably the best idea i saw belongs to some fellow Seattlites. So if you're looking for one with a drain...here's their concept. So i'm going to take a lot of their idea and tweak it.

So, being a prolific do it yourself-er, here's my plan to get around gimmicks, sespools, cost, and having to walk downstairs at 6am to wait out my dog's ability to hold it. Please forgive my pencil sketching being hard to see but the concept is this:

Basic concept is a layered box.
  • Layer 1: Wooden Tray 
    • with sides to contain the leaks This should be about 2-3 inches tall. It's just to create a frame for the whole thing. Since my grid is all one piece, i'm considering putting small chunks in the corners and center to help keep the second tray up and away from the kitty litter. I'm also going to put some small feet on the bottom to prevent rain water from getting trapped under it
  • Layer 2: Heavy duty plastic 
    • to protect the wood
  • Layer 3: Kitty litter
    • the idea of having to clean out a liquid resivoir doesn't appeal to me. This was totally Boyfriend Jon's idea and it was quite brilliant. 
  • Layer 4: A grid
    • I found a discarded soda crate bottom for support and to create a barrier between my curious pup and the toxic kitty litter. I plan on fitting this inside of the tray with just the handles showing. The point of this is to keep the sod up and away from the kitty litter so the litter doesn't suck moisture out of the sod.
  • Layer 5: Screening 
    • Run of the mill screen from an old screen door my dad has had lurking in the back yard since i was....10? Maybe this is unnecessary but i figure it will help keep the sod and kitty litter separate.  
  • Layer 6: Either sod or astro-turf
    • I plan on experimenting with both and seeing which is better but since my dad has an abundance of moss infested lawn, he's generously offered to let me take whatever i want for free. So free sod? yes please.
Although I'm a sworn dog person, i must say that cat people have found a superior way to manage a cat's urine. Clumping and odor neutralizing technology (in theory) is a great way to maintain this design without running a drain onto my neighbor's patio.

I was able to scavenge a wood pallet for the wooden tray, the soda crate, the plastic, and the screening. I know i can purloin the sod from my dad, but home depot sells a 2x4 foot section for just $3.50. So really, even without scavenging too hard, this design can be made for less than any of the internet options. And it can be sized to any breed.

(Helpful hit for new DIYers - major hardware stores will cut their wood to size for you usually at little to no cost. so you can make it long and narrow, square...whatever works for your living space)

I realize this is just the design, my next post will include pictures and dimensions for those that need a little more detail.

18 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I don't live on the third floor. but I have a duplex with a concrete patio. I hate the idea of pet waste all over and the urine will soak into the porous concrete and wait for a warm sunny day to be odiferous. The kitty litter is brilliant, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking to do this for a condo. Please update any snags you run into, how your dog liked it, and post pictures when complete. Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you check out a few posts later, i did an update with specific details: http://fireflyhaven.blogspot.com/2013/03/details-of-diy-drainless-porch-potty.html

      and then another follow up in the long run.
      http://fireflyhaven.blogspot.com/2013/05/after-2-months-with-porch-potty.html

      I confess, it has developed even further from there.
      The way that i had designed my tray was too shallow for the kitty litter to work effectively. So we resorted to pee pads under the tray and moved it further under the roof where rain couldn't reach it. If i built it differently, i might have raised the sidewalls to have a good bed of kitty litter underneath. But the pee pads worked as well.

      The astroturf worked great for over 9 months, although in summer we had issues with smell and were not unbearable, but annoying. I ended up doing a weekly cleaning with detergent because simple water wasn't good enough.

      This worked quite well.
      But eventually i got really sick of having to rush a stinky pee soaked tray into our bathroom to clean. No problems for the dog. She used it faithfully, and had no issues with going in grass anymore.

      So over the winter, we decided to simply use pee pads. We put a small trashcan with a lid right next to it, change the pads daily and we empty the can about once a week.

      Hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. So - you don't use the tray or astroturf anymore? Just the pee pad on the balcony?

      Delete
    3. Yes, ultimately we went back to just pee pads. This corresponded with our rescuing a second dog who lifts his leg and has no aim. (even pees on himself occasionally, the dork). Now our deck is pretty much covered in pee pads. But that's a separate issue.

      As i said, i think that the kitty litter would have worked better had the reservoir been a little deeper and my balcony had better rain coverage. There was nothing wrong with the concept, and we proved it worked for months on end with no issues. But our situation changed so we adapted.

      Delete
  3. How did it work with the sod? I would have thought the grass would have naturally netutralized the smell? Did you have issues with things blowing off your deck?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We tried it with two kinds of sod:
    1st was the commercial sod from Home Depot. However we realized quickly that the dirt was mostly clay based. the pee sat on top of it and didn't drain well, thus the smell.
    2nd was part of my parent's lawn which was mostly moss based. This worked better except that Kira wanted to eat it and tear it to bits.
    Unless you're going to replace the sod often (not ideal), synthetic was far superior, but it needed to be washed in the tub regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She won't pee on the grass cause you are doing pee pads wrong. She doesn't recognize grass as an appropriate place to relieve herself. You're supposed to move the pee pads gradually closer to the door, then outside to the grass. You've taught her to go on pee pads, not grass. So. She's just being a good dog, and you're just being a clueless owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for clueless....you assume a lot and it's actually you who's the clueless one.

      We DID try to putting pee pads in the grass. My mother tried too in their yard, we even had another dog show her. Kira refused to pee in the grass. That's why we tried an innovative idea to work around our dog's special quirks and it only took a week or so with showing her it was ok and she got it. I never said she was a bad dog.

      My dogs are well trained. They stay out of the kitchen while I'm cooking, they go into their crates as soon as they're given the command and I completely trust them around infants. They are socialized, exercised, well adjusted and they know who's boss. Not everyone has a perfect dog and a back yard that they can put their dog in until they figure it out. Sometimes you have to get creative.

      Its those who can't get creative that are clueless owners. The one's who think the puppy needs to be put down because it destroyed a piece of expensive furniture. And never thinks...maybe it's because we ignore him all day. I know people like that. I've had it out with people like that. So do something useful and go troll those people.

      Delete
    2. Firefly Haven,
      I think you were incredibly creative and persevering. You may have just saved me a lot of time. Would you share with me your "innovative idea to work around our dog's special quirks"?? But, not sure how? on FB??
      Jeanne

      Delete
    3. Jeanne,
      I'm not sure i follow your reply, can you please clarify what you would like me to share? I detail the progression of the potty fairly well in this post and the follow ups.

      All dogs have their own personality quirks. If you're new to owning a dog, you'll understand in time. For example, when i have to work on my computer and won't allow Watson on my lap, he climbs up onto the top of the backrest and hooks his front paws over my shoulder like a parrot so he can be as close as possible to me then goes to sleep like that.

      Delete
    4. Hi. Do you use anything particular to hold the wee wee pads?

      Delete
  6. i like this site nice information thanks for sharing...AstraliaSyntheticTurf

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I was reading this article I thought of something else to use for the tray because plastic and perfectly measured screening/grate was just too much work for me and seemed a bit overthought. I'm going to try this soon so I don't know how well it will work. Instead of a tray I recommend buying a short walled cat litter box, well actually two. See you could replace the tray AND grate with them. So in this order 1. Litter Box 2. Kitty litter/puppy pads 3. Litter box w/ holes 4. Screen 5. Sod. Then everything would be plastic for easier cleaning and you wouldn't have to strategically try to make a grate fit in a box. They stack. You could screw on handles or something on the litter box with holes so it won't sink down on top of the litter/puppy pads. Just a thought. I loved this article it really helped my planning process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Favorite Dog Training Pads from Bizarkdeal

    These potty pads are very absorbent and just the right size for my 8lb Shih Tzu. A larger dog would need a larger pad. I have not noticed any leak through because they absorb so well. It has been hard to find a pad that is of this quality but now I've found one, so I will continue to order this brand. The 100 count box delivered to the front door so quickly is a tremendous convenience. And, the price is much better than Pet store prices or anywhere else I have shopped.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing you guys! Thanks for the post and sharing your creativity.
    How'd it hold up in cold weather? You mentioned snow, so does this still work if it's below freezing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This article was written by a real thinking writer without a doubt. I agree many of the with the solid points made by the writer. I’ll be back day in and day for further new updates. apartment for rent in Masteri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is the grating in-between the grass and litter necessary if I am using astroturf and my dog wouldn't dig or try to get the litter underneath? Can I just put the astroturf right on-top of the litter?

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>