Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Nano post #3

This story I'm writing is unlike anything i've ever written before.

There's no astoundingly beautiful and smart heroine whom everyone's eyes follow like she's a walking angel
There's no mythical creatures tweaked to fit my imagination
There's no humor filled witty dialogue (yet)
There's no magic which defies the laws of physics and corrupt overlords

Yet i'm so involved in my story to the point of near obsession. It's a sensation i don't remember feeling even when writing on my long time work of Elixir.
There's such a momentum driven into me by watching my friend's and fellow NaNoWriMos word counts go above mine, then dip below as i furiously type out the scenes in my head. (except for John, who currently has double my current wordcount :P)

I think Nano was by far the best thing i ever did for myself. My nature is so competitive that i have almost no drive unelss there's some competition involved. I have to win fair and square.

This story base i have is forcing me to look at the classic stories of our time and see what makes them so great. How do we fall in love with characters even if their actions are dark?
In answering that question, i found a truth i had always ignored.
Characters of the great stories are not perfect. They have flaws just like us humans do. They can't be impervious to the emotions that make us, well...human.
Luke Skywalker was had that awkward wonder of a boy growing into a man. The godfather cried when his son was killed. Elizabeth looses her temper with Mr. Darcey. Odeseus longs to return home to see his wife and son.

Now i face the challenge of making a woman strong enough to lead the New York Mafia without losing her ability to appeal to a mass audiance.

*starts drumming her fingers on the table*

Total word count as of right now: 5876

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>