Thursday, November 6, 2008

Nano Post #4: So not feeling the burn

Yesterday at work i decided that i was going to try and reack 10k words, being a 5th of the way through in 5 days.

I got home last night and so did not feel like writing. My fingers were dissobeying me all day, writing with the worst spelling and grammer i've seen in a long time from them.
Bad fingers.
Then my buddy Kenny called and wanted to hang out. I decided to join him for a movie and to offer my advice on buying his first car insurance.

Yeah, i got just barely 500 words written before i gave up. I just didn't feel it.

I'm still ahead of the NaNoWriMo quota for day 6 (meaning if i didn't want to write tonight either, i don't have to, though i probably will)

Tonight, the Eastside Wrimers are gathering in my hometown for a great collaboration of Nano Minds. I probably will join them for a while depending on how good the brainstorming session goes.

From what i've learned about this group, they identify themselves in the crowded coffee shops with rubber ducks.
Odd i know, but i'm betting it works. There's a toy shop next door to the coffee shop where we're gathering tonight and when i went to check it out, i bought my duck.
It was either one that quacks like donald duck or one that lights up with pretty colors. i chose the light-er-up.

I'll probably arrive at the place an hour early and see if the muse strikes me.

On a side note: I'm really starting to get used to not living at home anymore. My mom went with me when I went to check out the coffee shop. It happens to have a lot of hippie holistic qualities to it. My mom is a devout bible thumping christian and thus was rather uncomfortable with the insense, tarrot, crystals, and mandalas. She walked around with pursed lips the entire time.

My parents had good intentions, i'm sure, but these last three months are full of me doing things i never would have dared do at home. Meeting up with friends late at night on a work night, going to unusual places and being exposed to different ideas.

I swear there is a distinct cut out that surrounds my parents house of places that they never go. It's almost like the rest of the map doesn't fully exist outside of their cut-out. They dont' really explore or meander around.

Dating Joe was one of those things that changed all that. Joe loved to wander around in the car with no real destination. I saw more places in six months of dating him that i had seen in my entire life. I had never been to mt. rainer, or further north than burlington. And heaven forbid we cross the mountains.

Now despite no longer having a boyfriend as a constant companion to go with me, i still feel the urge to explore. To find and see all the things my parents kept me away from.

Quite frankly, i feel distinctly cheated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>