Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Nano post #1

I joined what I've been loosely describing as a writers guild. Mostly at the recommendation of Colin whom at this point seems to have writers block and won't be joining himself unfortunately. Unless his muse gives him a good whack upside the head with an idea very soon.
National Novel Writing Month (Nanowrimo for short, or just Nano in general speak) is a site online that sets a goal for writing 50,000 words in the 30 day month of November. A challenge, a difficult yet clearly obtainable one given the have over 100,000 members and a very large chunk of them "win" each year. You track your word count and generally are in a friendly competition with several other writers.

I got my story idea about a month ago while working off of a prompt Colin sent my way to get me started. At first it seemed absurd and ridiculous but for some reason it stuck with me. I tried writing a start to another take on the same prompt but eventually got bored with it.

Then I woke up one morning, unsure if I had dreamt the entire storyline out or if a eureka moment hit me upon opening my eyes. That absurd and ridiculous idea suddenly made sense and worked so perfectly that I knew that was what i was going to attempt this challenge with.

So as to not spoil anything i will only say this about my story:

Nikel is a mafia princess forty years from now who comes up with a crazy idea that will resurrect the mafia power in a corrupt Manhattan setting but in a completely unconventional way. As she grows up from a teenager to a woman, we follow her in carrying out her plan with the help of her Uncle Marcus, her twin brother Tony, and the power carried in the prestige of their last name: Sendori.

Oh yes, and this novel was inspired by a true story told by my Uncle Nick.

1 comment:

  1. There is a new supplement for creative people called Foculate. It really helps get the creative juices flowing. I had the worst writer's block and was given some by a friend of mine. It's a herbal supplement that breaks down the stress and anxiety that causes writer's block and then charges you with energy and focus. I finished the script I was battling with for 2 months in about a week fueled on it. I highly recommend it:

    www.foculate.com

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>