Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Company Football

Last week I agreed to show up for the company football team. The main reason why I word it like that is because i was told they were "hard pressed" to get 6 people out on the field last time they tried.
After spending 15 minutes trying to locate the other guys i finally found them. Their directions were back asswards. left, not right.
There's five guys already out there and i'm a little uncomfortable already. A: i'm late, and B: i'm the only girl. Ok well...time to exercise.
It's pretty clear right away just how out of shape I am. After the fourth run, i'm breathing hard and i can feel the sweat running down my back. We play 3 on 3, and i avoided the quarterback position adamantly. not to sound girly or anything, but trying to throw a football if you have nails is not FUN.
fifteen minutes in...i'm doubled over inbetween plays with a nasty cramp. I'm terrified everytime I even remotly feel that wave of woozieness that i'm going to collapse on these poor guys. I'm forcing myself to be aware of taking deep slow breaths even though i can barely breathe in general.
30 minutes in....they for some reason decide they're going to hand the ball off to me. No one gave me a heads up. my brain's in kind of a fuddle so i literally just huck the ball as far as i can (thankfully managing a spiral that went in the general direction of one of my teammates)
they start talking about when to end. I'm thinking "oh thank god, we're done!!!!"........except they want to go another 15 minutes.
Ok.....how about I save everyone time and just die right here?
in the end, my team lost. I'm clearly the slow one. My breath feels like my lungs are bubbling and i'm completely red as usual. We laughed, slid around in the mud and enjoyed arguing over exactly where to start the ball from.
Not the best football game i've ever played in, but quite fun none the less. I'll probably be joining them many more times if they keep playing. Hopefully eventually i'll be able to keep up with them to some extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>