Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Changes in the apartment are coming!

This last week I decided to make some major changes to my tiny little apartment. Perhaps this is kind of silly because my renewal is next month and i just heard a horror story from my friend Lindsey who just had her renewal rent jacked up a full $100! I hope it won't be as bad for me, but the renewal should be out tomorrow and we'll see what the damage is. But there are some things that i can't stand anymore. And with major internal changes, comes the need to change my environment. My list of things to change included:

How i store my tupperware. I started out this year with only one kind of tuperware. The kind with interchangeable lids. However, now i have some from my parents, some from my last roommate, some from a friend, some from my sister. I love that i know so many people who don't know how to cook in small portions, but really, when i offer your tupperware back, don't say "oh you can just keep it". I honestly have half a mind to bake a super batch of really bad cookies and then gift the tupperware back to whence it came.

How i store my cleaning supplies. Really, Anne? what were you thinking putting your tub of cleaning solutions in the big cabinet next to your sink! That's major apartment cabinet real estate! You could be putting things like mixing bowels, in there instead of trapped behind your recycling bin.

Replacing the Coffee and End tables...which survived my sister's entire college experience, and over a decade since with her, plus 2 years with me. Yes, they're durable, sturdy, functional, and they double as seating. But they are scratched, scuffed, and a weird yellowish brown laminate which totally clashes with my pretty mahogany pieces. So I've started pestering dad into moving the end tables and coffee table up on the calendar. And i'm enlisting the neighbor across the street to help with cutting down the huge 4x8 foot boards in his gigantic workshop.

Bedroom linens. I bought a bed in a bag, which is very bright, swirly, and pretty in an effort to lighten up my bedroom for spring and summer. The only problem is is that it's a bed in a bag, not a bedroom in a bag. There's no curtains and so far my efforts to match the color have been fruitless. The current brown curtains do not match the black accent color of the new linens. That's something they don't tell you in the online description.

Bedroom layout. I'm kind of done with the current layout which is having the bed right next to the door and my night stand on the far side. I miss not having a night stand on on my dominant side to plug my phone in at night. So hopefully i can sweet talk Boyfriend Jon into helping me mirror it to the other wall.
*although, given the prospect of a jump in rent, moving, roommate searches again, and other stuff....this one might be put on the back burner for a while until i'm sure of what's going to happen next year. I really wanted to stay at this apartment for two years minimum, roommate free, barring any unforeseen (snicker) circumstances.

One year down, please please let this work for another year. I'm happy for a change and i don't want things to change! What do you sacrifice to a rent god to let keep it happy so it stops shitting on you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>