Monday, January 3, 2011

Wallet thief!

2010 ended on a slightly sour note when my wallet inexplicably went missing.

Somehow between buying coffee for a work party, and leaving the work part about six hours later, my wallet disappeared. Between juggling coffee for six people and pastries, I distinctly remember attempting to put my wallet back in my purse. It's a fairly small wallet, no bigger than the ones guys put in their back pocket. But i was distracted and i didn't actually remember if it went into the purse.

I worked all day until about five o'clock when taskmaster sister finally said "enough". I quickly went to gather my stuff and did my failsafe "keys, wallet, cell phone" mantra that i say to myself every single time i go to leave somewhere. But upon looking for my wallet, it was gone. I hadn't left the house all day, and it was highly unlikely that anyone from the work party would be desperate enough to look in MY purse for extra money.

My parents and my sister joined the search for the wayward wallet, even taking a flashlight out into the cold where my car had been parked. Meanwhile, i rushed back to the coffee shop and asked if anyone had seen my wallet. The lady looked at me like it was my fault but relented my insistence that she check the back office to see if the morning shift had found it and forgot to leave a note. After that, i rushed to my bank to put a clamp on my accounts and cancel my credit cards. After a frustrating hour, my family wasn't able to find my wallet and i was convinced that someone had picked it up.

The next day, i was forced to endure the Department Of Licensing for THREE HOURS.
Yeah, I arrived there at 1:39pm and spent the next 2 hours and 40 minutes of that just waiting to be called. I cannot believe the insanity that they expect normal working people to endure to get a license. That's pretty much half a day if someone looses a wallet as far as the work-day is concerned. It further solidified my opinion that service stations like the DOL, DMV, and Post Offices should be open later in the days than six.

The day after that, I received my replacement debit card so i was no longer dead in the water. Then i began my search for a new wallet to hold my stuff. My wallet is pretty much perfect for me so i had some trouble finding a replacement. Just when i was about ready to order one off line, i get a phone call from my sister

Sister: Hey...i gotta tell you something but you can't get mad until i finish
me: Don't you dare tell me you found my wallet...
sister: Your wallet is safe, i have it.
me: You're kidding! (facepalm) where was it???
sister: i was going to get my work pants out of my closet and i noticed something white on the floor in there. I was wondering what the heck it was and when i pulled it out, it was a bag of pumpkin seeds.
me: Oh?! (I rememberd that i did have a bag of pumpkin seeds that i hadn't noticed was gone.)
sister: I know that i don't really ever eat pumpkin seeds so i got down on my hands and knees and started clearing out.
(She has a double hanging closet so there's a layer of clothes close, but not down to the ground. her dog Molly likes to go in there and walk back and forth under the clothes, we think cause it feels like she's being pet.)

Apparently, that's where Molly has been hiding her toys and some food wrappers also. She pulled out my bag of pumpkin seeds, my wallet and a flash drive that had been taken fifteen feet from the bed where my purse had been and into Molly's closet hideout along with a couple other things.

I wanted so hard to be mad at someone, but I just couldn't do it, i started laughing. Well, now i have a new license and new cards.

Rawrggg!

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>