Monday, January 10, 2011

Anti-slip surface doesn't get my stamp of aproval

I opened my blog this morning thinking i wouldn't have anything important to write. Indeed my weekend was relatively uneventful, lots of video games, cleaning and clothes folding.

Little did i know that leaving to go to lunch would turn out so eventful.
On the way down the two flights of stairs, i struck up a conversation with two co-workers who were also leaving to go to lunch. And when we walked out the door, the two men took the stairs and i took the ramp down. It's not a steep incline, only two three steps high and it runs for about twenty feet. I couldn't have been more than six feet from the door, with my hand on the railing, when my foot flew out behind me as i transitioned my weight. My other foot rolled painfully, and I started falling straight down and put my hand out to break my fall. It connected....and then slid to full extension on "anti-skid" textured paint that had been laid down literally a week before.

The effect was a feeling I've described as running my hand along a cheese grater. Very not happy.

Thankfully, the two co-workers saw me go down and rushed to help me. With my wrist screaming in pain, my knee throbbing and blood trickling down my leg, they helped me limp back into the building.

Incident report forms are being filled out while i sit with a gigantic bag of ice and type one handed...a skill I've developed quite well in the last couple of years.

Leave it to me, who's name means graceful...to manage to slip on a non-slip surface.

I will say this: you would think that they would consider wetness a factor in slippage in the Pacific North west and not coat a non-slip surface with a paint that clearly is slick when wet. I would think at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>