Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ambitious plans

"Ambition is like love. Impatient both of delays and rivals."

This is another of the sayings I've picked up in my life. When my heart starts pumping, and my fingers start tapping, I find myself resenting whatever is in the way of whatever project has stolen my attention for the time being. I'm completely impatient. I just want to get to it before the obsession is past. Right now, the obstruction is work. More so than any other day lately.

What is making me so impatient for the workday to be over?

I have a sewing/craft project brewing in my head. One with a distinct time limit to it. If i can't make the deadline, it's over. The entire reason for it to be done will be gone. So i must work quickly and efficiently.

A little back story:
Junior year, i was dating my good friend Kacy and homecoming was upon us. I had been to a school dance once before, but I had worn a hand-me-down dress from my sister's friend Carla that had never fit my figure right. I begged my dad to buy me a new dress on the strict understanding that i would only get that one for all the remaining dances throughout high school. That's was just fine by me. It wasn't about the money, it was about my friends with four dresses that they would never wear again that i would have killed to be able to wear.

I found a gorgeous dress on the "cheap" rack at the boutique that i would work for a few years later. It was burgundy, with sparkles all over it. $200 later, it was mine. It was a perfect dress except for the tulle underneath. It brushed up against my skin every time i walked and by the time i had gotten to dinner, i had taken Kacy's knife and cut it off.

After that dance, the dress went into my closet never to come out again. I didn't go to Senior year homecoming or prom because i was doing running start and there was a college level final around that time.

But it has always grated on me that the dress was so expensive and I only got to wear it once. Through all the moves, and closet purges, and knowing that the dress was too extravagant for most post-highschool functions...i couldn't let the dress go. Even when it wouldn't fit anymore, and the zipper was broken...i didn't get rid of it. I'm still in love with that dress.

Now I finally have found a post-highschool function that demands a little extravagance. The masquerade will be ideal for a full skirt, rich hues and sparkles.

The problem: The dress still doesn't fit.
The solution: Perhaps it's a good thing that i like lace up dresses.

The Ambitious plan: Tonight it's off to a fabric shop to buy material for a modesty panel and the making of a lace up back for my old homecoming dress. Tomorrow, it's adjusting seams and creating the new fit...which will spill into Friday most likely. With any luck, i'll be able to make this adjustment in time. Please cross your fingers for me.

I know how to sew and have made garments before. I even sewed a bodice together by hand once a long time ago...in two days. At least this time i have a sewing machine.

Can this be done? I'm confident it can. Will it be easy? No, I'm confident it won't be.

But I like challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>