Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 2 of adding a corset back

There's roughly twelve hours to go before the masquerade and so much to be done.

Boyfriend Jon and I made an excursion last night to a different costume shop to look at their mask selection. While most impressive, the price tags were downright painful! Jon was disappointed that a the top hat he liked was $119. So he settled for a rather dashing fedora.

For me, my taste in masks ran far beyond the capacity of my wallet. There was a gorgeous silver fillagree mask for just $156. The average of the masks in the store was around $40. And for one night, i couldn't justify that cost no matter how much my heart begged me to. However, wandering around that store, they have the single largest costume rental that I've ever seen. They won my heart when i saw the Jedi robes prominently displayed right next to the front door. I shall be returning to A Masquerade Costume in Bellevue.

Yesterday was frustrating in the dress alterations department. I tried my best to follow the advice on Sew for Dough's page, but the chord i used made my life hell. I would advise fellow attempters to avoid using any kind of chord that cannot be pressed flat or that unravels. Getting them done was quite a fight and I'm not thrilled with the results.
Getting the old fake criss cross lacing out was by far the easiest part of yesterday.
And finally i couldn't avoid it any more and i was forced to cut into the dress itself. There is no turning back now. The white lines you see were whip stitches so that the top layer (see through with the sparkles all over it) would stay in place while i cut.
All and all it was productive. But time is closing in fast and i wish i had more of to perfect my creation.

Boy this sure reminds me of being back in school. I always waited till the last second and then threw something together. Granted, writing a 5 page report was never difficult for me and i typically got A's. But with this, i run the risk of having it tear and rip, ruining the dress or exposing more flesh than intended. Since this is an annual event (i know this now) i don't want to have to do this again.

Please please please come together flawlessly! Or at the very least, make the results worth the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>