Thursday, January 6, 2011

Let the Geek flag fly!


I. Am. A. Geek!

And proudly so. I'm so glad that this era is the era of technology, that nerds and geeks are no longer tormented as loners because we have the glorious world of the web in which to unite and amass our ever-growing numbers!

I know entirely too much about Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, and every single movie), Star Wars (yes even the newer ones), Firefly, and Xena....just to touch the top of the list. I game, I WoW'ed (for the Horde!), I Ever-cracked, I Magic'd and I even D&D'd.

My whole life occasionally revolved around one or more of these obsessions. Throwing a fit at my parents if we missed an episode of Voyager. I had the comics, lusted after the more expensive artifacts my parents refused to get me. I argued schematics with my brothers. I won trivia contests. I wondered why we couldn't have money-less/peaceful economies. I dreamed of going to the stars. When I hear of injustice, I feel compelled to fight it.

While I'm more balanced now (hahaha) things like radio show hosts confusing
Mitochondria(power house of living cells) and Midichlorians (the symbiotic force-enabling microorganisms) still drives me insane! I have to remind myself that no everyone knows that Spock's blood is green, or that ATST's from ROTJ are also called chicken-walkers. Or that not everyone in the world knows what i mean when when i use acronyms like that!

I know that in the real world of work, get paid, pay bills, lather-rinse-repeat....these things DON'T MATTER. But I still care about them. To the point of arguing vehemently...i care about them.

I also have a sturdy support group that helps me enable this passion. Boyfriend Jon who has openly accepted my geekiness and professes it often to his co-workers. Of course, he some times uses it to tease them. "Yeah, well my girlfriend plays video games WITH me!" he's told me several times with a very impish grin on his face. I've felt completely free to remind him every other week that i don't mind watching the newest Star Trek movie again, or that i'm going to go home and pop Star Wars in, or that i just finished watching the final season of Xena and I'm thinking about starting in on BSG. We even fell for each other over Firefly.

Kenny indulges me to my bad Call of Duty skills which are progressing far beyond the "Oh my god...i don't know what to do...where am i going...door?WHAT DOOR!...i'm being shot...where are my dudes!....DIE YOU DIE DIE DIE!!!!" (which apparently was sending both Kenny and his roommate into laughing fits) to..."wait...what? I beat you kenny!?" He knows he has a willing and ...entertaining second player for evenings when he knows he's going to be off. It's great for me, because what better way to vent the stress from a frustrating day than by blowing a bunch of crap up? Figuratively that is.... erm.

Kenny is once again putting on a Call of Duty party where we all come and play on a huge projector screen and try to out-do each other. It's something i'm really looking forward to to jump start my weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>