Monday, December 15, 2008

Attack of the Scrooge

Warning: If you want happy, sweet, joyful thoughts about this holiday season; Do not read further.

I love the holidays, really I do. I love the ice skating rinks and the brisk weather, snowflakes and christmas lights.

What irritates the hell out of me is the whining children, entitled consumers, public family arguments, agressive drivers, and inconsiderate, difficult teenagers.

Since many of you will have seen this, i will only elaborate on one instance of how rediculous Christmas has become this year alone.

Walking through the store one day trying to think of something considerate to get for my brother without a clue where to begin, i began just wandering, hoping my eye would catch on something. I was thinking about a set of poker chips and headed towards the gaming section.
While i was comparing prices I truely couldn't help but overhearing a very loud crash and a child ear splitting scream.
Concerned for what could possibly have made a kid scream like that, i rushed around the corner ready to offer assitance if i could. In the next isle, is a woman trying to pick up toys which had been knocked to the ground by a VERY unruly child of maybe 7 or 8.
I stepped mostly out of sight seeing the mother's frazzled state and not wanting her to feel humiliated further. The mother finished picking up the toys and then picked up what I figured out later to be a Nintendo DS. She handed it back to the child.
My jaw just about dropped clear to the floor when the child started whining again. saying "It's broken you stupid cow" This time the mom managed to capture the kids arm in mid swing as it tried to throw it again. She took it out of the child's hand and tried to mess with it. At that point i figured it was probably pretty broken; having just been launched a good five feet. All the while the child is yelling at the mom calling her stupid and demanding that she get a new one.
When it became clear that it was not just a simple matter of resetting, the mom hurried over to the electronics department which wasn't far away. I couldn't help myself, I followed to see what she would do. To my dismay, she proptly picked out a brand new pink Nintendo DS, pay for it and open it up to hand it to the child.
I was in too much shock to even say anything. This brings the Era of Entitlement to a whole new level. They don't even care about Christmas any more...it's an International Day of the Greedy, Ungrateful, Dissrespctful, Conumeristic Pains In the ASS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>