Monday, August 31, 2009

A gripe for the "fashion" industry

I have huge pet peeves with the fashion industry, nearly all of them related to size. These frustrations, outrage, and annoyances are things i've had to deal with my entire life. I'm not jealous of skinny women. But i am jealous of the clothes they get to wear according to fashion "experts". And I'm not sorry that I have curves, I jiggle, and have parts that move no matter how still i try to be. I don't want to cover them up, I don't want to hide behind ugly matronly clothes. I was never lithe, slender, waif-like, or even athletic. And these days, i don't understand how fashion caters only to those who are. Even after dropping a solid 20 pounds, i still find myself stuck in the middle between ugly boxy coverup women's clothes, and beautiful clothes that show off my curves if they could just be ONE STUPID SIZE BIGGER!

Case #1: Wide calf my ass!
I have one true weakness when it comes to clothing and accessories. Knee high black leather boots are so sexy, that i can't help but admire them. I received my first pair at 15 and never have been without a set. But at 18, i started having to buy what were called "Wide Calf" which increased the price by almost 50$. And so called wide calf = 15 inches in circumference. I asked one of my average friends to measure her calf. it was 14.5". Mine, as a more curvaceous muscular legged person: 18"

Case #2: XL doesn't equal 1X (misses sizes vs. womens sizes)
I've come to realize that smaller ladies whom have never had to shop in women's sizes have absolutely no clue what the difference is between XL and 1X. to demonstrate, next time you're in a store, pick up an XL....and lay your hands flat on either side of the waist. That's about the standard size difference between those two sizes. Also i ask you to draw straight lines instead of curves at the waist and bust area.
Do the fashion designers think that because we don't look like a sewing maniquin...that we turn into oil barrels with arms and heads? Many of us plus sized women are exactly the same shape as smaller women, just bigger.

Case #3: I'm 23, not 63
Ok, most 23 year olds are closer to a size 12 if not smaller. But i refuse to believe that women even in their 30s want to wear the same style clothes as their mothers. I know while i love my mother dearly, there's no way in hell that I would want to dress like her. Yet i see the same polyester slacks, button down lace applique tops and boxy sweaters on the sales racks in my size....as are sitting in her closet. *insert horrified recoil and twilight zone music here*
Yet the young, stylish, hip clothes...don't reach to my size. Stopping short at an infuriating XL.
Believe me, i've been shopping in women's clothes since i was 15. (so much for juniors) I know which stores carry clothes that have small selections which cater to women like me. But there's not enough.

Non-related pet peeve:
A simple black cotton pencil skirt....should NEVER cost 268$ unless it's made out of real gold and has re-sale value!!!

Not for the first time in my life am I considering what it would take to start my own clothing line that is not for skinny women, not for those who are older, more matronly, but young and proud of sporting a few extra curves. If only i was better at sewing and not doing a billion other things in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>