Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I found the conversation police at work

My best friend was laid off. I fully believe (after witnessing several confrontations, reading emails between them and listening in on phone conversations) that I know the root cause for this. I have MANY opinions about this, and 99% of my opinions tend to cause people to fluff their feathers and get uncomfortable. However, at work, you're supposed to be politically correct.

SO!!
WHEN ASKED!!! and ONLY WHEN ASKED!!!
I first give them a choice: "Do you want to politically correct version or what really happened?"
Politically correct version: [my friend] has left the company
Usually i get one of two responses: "I want to know what really happened" or "the incorrect version"

this is my starting response: "There was a personality conflict between [my friend] and his boss that escalated and in the end [my friend] was laid off."
The more questions they ask, the more detail I go into. If i make a derogatory statement towards the remaining person, I'll preface it with "I think..." or "In my opinion..." or "I believe"

This is what I have been doing since Monday. Actively making sure, I don't let an opinion slip out without one of those disclaimers mostly because i know I'm angry and somewhat prejudiced.

Now, someone whom i wasn't even talking to decided to tell me that i shouldn't be doing this. That I'm defaming the company who laid off my friend. And then THREATEN to turn me into HR...you can call it what you like but when you say "(if you don't stop) I'm gonna go to HR" that's a threat...

I hear you.
I understand that you are trying to look out for my well being and that you're not doing this just be a jerk.
I wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion.
I believe you didn't know [my friend] very well, or you didn't care for him very much.
I think your moral compass is WAY off if you believe they pay you enough here to essentially LIE for them by keeping your mouth shut.

So! Do what you need to do. That's what I'm doing.

Maybe that's why i wasn't very popular in school:
I wasn't afraid to do what was right instead of what was popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>