Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Experiance is what you get when you don't get what you want

The title is a line I got out of the famed "Last Lecture" that has been going around the Internet of a professor that is dying and he knows it. I like this line because it reminds me of a time when i was small and i had been trying to build something in my dad's shop while he was "thinking" (which generally consisted of him staring at the TV for an hour or so then getting up and finishing whatever he had been doing). I can't quite remember what i was trying to build, but i remember it fell apart and i started crying because by that point i had run out of ideas and i was completely frustrated.
My dad saw this and pulled me up into his lap and asked me: "OK, it didn't work, but what did you learn from this?" and by making me think about what parts of it didn't work and what parts did, he slowly let me realize where the flaws in my plan were. With his encouraging direction and a little help, eventually it worked.
Experience is everything. Knowledge is great and all and Wisdom is useful but Experience is what begets them both.
Experience is what i lack at the moment.
For those not able to read my Facebook status updates, my car has been overheating and leaking antifreeze (or water as i filled it up with that instead because it was cheaper). Three trips to the mechanic (the first two times he assured me that it was fixed)...and i find out that the head gasket has overheated and warped causing a crack. ......Shit. it's about 1000$ to fix it.........FUCK!......the car is 18 years old and when we bought it 4 years ago, it was for 3k$. damnit! it's not worth it to fix it.
So here is my only option now. Buy a car about 6 months sooner than i was planning. Can i? yes. I have the money and credit to go with it. But i hadn't exactly figured out what my budget for having moved out was either. Meaning i don't know yet what my new rate for the rent/utilities are since the just raised them. I haven't figured out groceries yet, and other such incidental bills, and i don't' know where my future car is. (Trust me i know what it is, just not where)
So now all of a sudden, i need to gain a hell of a lot of experience, knowledge and wisdom in a very short period of time. My insurance comes up for renewal on the 8th of September. So it looks like this new car is going to be my birthday present to myself. yay for barely being a Libra!

On a side note:
My roommate and i are well matched it seems. So far our only aggravations with each other, if you can call them that, is leaving a hairbrush and chapstick on the coffee table for four days, and leaving a sponge in the sink. Both issues were quickly resolved in a nice manner. Beyond that, we both take out the garbage, wash the dishes, and apparently I'm the first roommate she's ever had that vacuumed without being asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>