Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Another double post

So before Eve, my old car that was trying to bleed to death, actually died....we got rid of her.
I spent 3 days going to every ford dealership and Autotrader.com hit for a car i was looking for.

Now, hopefully my past blogs, however opinionated, will have indicated that i am not a prissy, air headed, parent indulged, moron typical of my generation.

I know a bit about cars, having worked on my mitsubishi taught me a few things that most kids won't learn in their lifetime. i think ahead to maintenance and usability, and i research all the changed a company has made over the years. yes, i am not dumb nor gullible. I want a 2005-07 Ford Focus in Black with cloth interior and all power options.

First Dealership:
"well, we don't have that but how about this bright obnoxious blue color. Could you go colorblind for the right price? oh common stop being so picky, beggars can't be choosers, i don't have a used car factory behind the store, i can't just give you what you want."
Needless to say, i left after the New York bitch in me came out. "even if i went color blind, it would still be grey, not black. It's my money, I'm going to be picky if i want. I know what i want, I'm going to get it, You can either help me or get the fuck out of my way"

Second dealership:
the armrest in the middle was broken. And i mean broken as if someone had intentionally pried it off of it's hinges. it would take them about 2 weeks to fix it...and they won't knock off more than 500 of the price for it because of that. Also, the breaks are grinding. It only takes one experience of running your roaters almost down to know what that feels like. And the tongue lashing i got from my father was reinforcement enough to never forget it.
"oh but it's probably just because the breaks got wet and they feel a little funny"
So i get out and pry off the hubcap with one hand and run my finger along the roter....it's bumpy......this car has not been taken care of.
I leave and basically tell them, no way in hell.

Third dealership:
The sales guy, Travis, was really nice. Saw me pop the hood and start pushing and prodding things and came over. When i asked him what something was that i had never seen before he looked at me and said "i could try to make up an answer for you, but in all honesty, i don't know" They had a charcoal gray version that i had considered before but i still really wanted black. I actually sat down with this guy and ran some numbers. I told him I'd think about it and thanked him for not treating me like an airhead. He actually said, you knew more about that car than i did...thanks for the lesson.

Fourth dealership:
wanted to drive me over to his other lot where he though he had a black one......yeah right. they had red and white. I said thanks but no. He was pretty bla.

Fifth dealership:
had a black one with manual windows. I could have told him no instantly when i saw that but he was being real pompous and actually calling me sweetheart and baby. So, when he didn't take my no nonsense knock it off look seriously, and feeling a little mischievous, i decided to mess with him. When he asked if i wanted to test drive it, i said "OK...you can ride in the trunk" and gave him my Cheshire cat grin which can best be described as a grin with alterior motives clearly behind it. He quickly passed me off on another sales person whom wasn't as much fun to mess with and i left.

Last Dealership:
Didn't hurt that they had the car i was looking for exactly. Note to self. Always go with the older veterans. Kurt was great. He laughed when i suggested he ride in the trunk and said "i guess it would show you just how much you can fit in there" (he was a bigger guy). And he let me take it on a highway to test out the pickup speed. He didn't protest when i cut a slightly sharp u turn in gravel. When i asked him what that same mysterious object was he actually knew, and explained it to me (air filter replacement gauge). When we went in to do some numbers, he explained warenteies, talked about every concern i had. i even got the special internet price that they had going on for that week only. All in all, he was knowledgable, respectful, understanding, and relaxed. It was the atmosphere that i wanted all along.

So i bought the car. She's perfect. When i first sat in her, i knew it was just so right.

thing is....two days later, the radio stops working. -_-
warentees are such good things. I'm naming her Jinx...because it fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>