Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The importance of great kitchenware

My number one pet peeve that i have is people who don't take care of their kitchen equiptment. Good cookware is essential for me. My family always pushed and emphasis on quality in the kitchen and i quickly learned why my mom refused to let us put pots in the dishwasher, instead making us wash everything that had to do with the stove by hand.

I started out with practically nothing in my kitchen arsenal aside from a basic four serving corelle ware dishes and some silverware i got from value village. I had to rely on the roommate's cooking tools. I was immediately horrified at my first roommate's so called cooking tools. And no...most of them didn't get the job done. They were scratched, dented, stained, cooked unevenly, food stuck, and didn't sit flat on the stove. Probably because she always threw them in the dishwasher or left the burner on. I couldn't fathom someone being so careless but there was nothing i could do.

I swore that i would never have pots and pans that were THAT crappy. I remember hiding my one fantastic universal pan in my room instead of in the kitchen. When i got an amazing professional stainless steel set for Christmas, they stayed in the box until i moved out despite my yearning for quality pans every time i cooked.

 My next roommate had her own set, which were already getting scratched. But they at least worked. I seasoned them for her and I did my best to take care of them when i used them though she always looked askance at me when i hand washed them. My professional set stayed hidden away in my garage. Finally, i moved out on my own and i was so excited to finally pull the pots out of their box. They were just so pretty!

It's hard to believe that in just a handful of years, I've filled out my collection with quality, nice looking, serviceable kitchenware. Especially since the roommates are no longer a factor. I still drool over kitchen gadgets and was in awe of the professional cooking store i found nearby. I started to expand my collection beyond the basics.


Everything from a kitchen aid (best invention ever!), quality wood spatulas and spoons, pyrex mixing dishes, and high quality and sharp knives. I even got Boyfriend Jon a nice set of knives to replace his old ones because they drove me insane.

But there are still so many things I need. For dinner this week, i'm planning on a green bean casserole, one of Boyfriend Jon's favorites and lo and behold...no casserole dish. Before this we had been using the disposable aluminum tins from the grocery store. I instantly thought of my parent's Visionware Corning dish. That sucker is awesome. But they're not carried in any local stores. Before i know what's happened, it's past my bedtime and I had been looking at Corning ware at every single local store that sells it for over two hours.

It's an obsession. I won't deny it. Having a beautiful and functional kitchen with great tools is a big dream of mine. A currently un-achievable dream given my apartment and income, but a constant one. Down to the fact that i highly covet my buddy Kenny's island in his kitchen. I miss the days of plentiful counterspace. I'd happily give up a dining room to have a bigger kitchen. And i can't help but imagine a home with one of those mockups you see at home depot or ikea.

So please, be kind to your good kitchenware.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story! I also love collecting pots and pans, and they're all neatly arranged inside my cabinets. Recently, I purchased a Marble Coating Cookware Set from MSY INVEST bv. It's scratch-resistant, and I super love the quality. Check them out at kitchenware supplies.

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>