Thursday, July 21, 2011

Nano Novel #4?

Yes, i realize that its only July. But my mind is already thinking about the next NaNoWriMo. (I write the first draft of a novel in the month of November. Check out the NaNoWriMo tab above for more details)

Perhaps its the very November-esque weather, or the constant rain, or finding an old collection of stories i read a great deal as a kid. Who knows. But i keep having to squash the countdown to November that my brain is trying to start. 

I started a plot bunny way back in 2009. I think it was shortly after i had finally gotten around to watching the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I had the idea for an adventure novel. But the idea quickly fizzled after about 5,000 words. 

Why? Well, i hate history. Especially the fact checking part. I couldn't come up with a adventure similar to Indiana Jones without doing some research. So the story went onto the back burner and quickly from there into the archives. 

But the intro was strong, the characters were vivid, and i had grand plans for the way their paths would be woven together. 

Jimmy and Jason Lewis. Twins whose temperance couldn't be more different. Jimmy is a charmer, suave and has an insane amount of luck. He's the kind of guy who could be broke and find a 20$ bill in the gutter just by bending down to tie his shoe. Jason on the other hand is a brooder, worrier, and pessimistic. He's constantly thrust into his brother's shadow but feels like he has a duty to protect his foolhardy brother. Ironically, Jimmy's luck has a habit of saving them both. 

Rebecca Carlson. The daughter of a widowed professor who has been brought up to be quick witted, logical, and headstrong instead of the socially acceptable demure lady. Her Aunt Alice takes it upon herself to smooth out the rougher edges which is like dulling a knife with a Brillo pad. 

I had dreams of an adventure through Europe, dodging the Nazis and being mistaken for spies. But i didn't know enough about WW2 and always have trouble staying awake through my uncles long winded lectures. 

But it wasn't until I ran across an old book i read often as a kid that i suddenly had amazing inspiration. I have always loved Mythology. Mostly because there is no way to fact check these legends and stories. It was exciting too- heros, goddesses, wisdom that would last the ages, and the ending were not always happy. I shocked the heck out of my teachers when i read the Odyssey at age 9. And i still find it fascinating. 

Suddenly i had my answer. What if my characters found some of the old immortals which had managed to hide themselves away from the world as it grew each century to present time. 

After all the struggling last year with the story line that just refused to be easy, i almost decided to quit NaNo all together. 

Now...i can't get my brain to stop. If i can't get a decent summer, can it at least hurry up to November?

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>