Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A year without Cable

A year ago today, I walked into the local Comcast store to set up my account for my new apartment. After living with roommates for two years, i was going to be paying for all the utility bills by myself for a change. I was doing some math trying to figure out how on earth i could afford to keep paying over $100 for internet, cable and a phone i never used. Since both of my roommates were TV hogs, i never spent much time watching TV anyway. There were only a couple shows that i enjoyed watching and everything else was put on for background noise.

So, when i got to the front counter, i made what seemed like a really bold decision at the time. "Just Internet please. Your most basic package. No, i don't want to spend more to save money by coupling phone and cable. yes i understand that means i won't even be able to get 1-13 anymore." I had signed up for Netflix a few months before and Boyfriend Jon showed me how i could view the streaming through my Xbox.

Here's the math a year later.

Old Comcast bill:         $120                          Over the course of a year: $1,440
Current Comcast bill:  $  35                          Over the course of a year: $   420
Plus Netflix:                  $  10                          Over the course of a year: $   120
                                                                             Difference:                $   900

NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS! I couldn't believe it when i looked over my finances last night. I knew i was saving money, but it's a different matter when you actually see that large of a number. I couldn't believe what i was paying to keep my roommates happy. And to pay for a phone that was LITERALLY never used.

As for missing prime time television...most days i honestly don't even notice it's gone. Occasionally someone will ask me "Did you see what happened on American Idol last night??" When i tell them i don't have cable, most people are amazed that I'd done away. To put this in a weird perspective: One of the group that gossips non stop about American Idol went Vegan around the same time. No animal products at all. The group was more amazed that i was without cable than they were about her going without meat. I've even been called "Brave" more than once. But i honestly don't feel like i'm missing anything.

Netflix has plenty of streaming TV shows without commercials to keep me busy. I've already gotten through all seasons of Star Trek Voyager, That 70's show, Xena, Firefly, Cake Boss, Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, and now i'm starting in on the Sarah Connor Chronicles and America's Funniest Animals. They run in the background while I work on projects, or avoid folding clothes.

As for the shows i'm missing out on: I already own the three seasons of Big Bang Theory and they didn't dissapoint. I eagerly await season four. Two and a half men has lost it's appeal thanks to Sheen's arrogance, not to mention I preferred Jon Cryer anyway. And everything else...eh. I really haven't missed anything else, except maybe a couple of cooking shows for some inspiration. Oh, and COPS so that i can give out my own set of Darwin awards for idiocy.

It's amazing what we think we need, but can live without quite comfortably.

2 comments:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have you visiting. I hope I continue to be entertaining and/or helpful and/or interesting. I love comments, so feel free to leave them whenever you feel so moved. :) Later!

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>