Friday, April 22, 2011

Resurrected from Geek Heaven

I stopped by my parents place yesterday because dad had told me to come by so we could finish up my coffee table which is in the home stretch, building it wise. What i didn't know when i arrived was that he had wrenched his back not an hour before and he was not inclined to be on his feet anymore down in the cold shop.

My mother was busy fussing about him and trying to put away the remaining Christmas decorations (yes, they were still out a few days before easter). I told dad to take a load off, and then opened up the access to the attic where the Christmas stuff goes. Dad, incorrigible as ever, refused to let us women get the boxes upstairs by ourselves so he started handing things up to me as i was hunched over in the short attic. 

Mom however, suddenly remembered that she had forgotten something and took several minutes to pack it away. Dad left the bottom of the ladder to help her and told me to stay up there for when they were ready. So i sat down and started looking around. There were a few boxes that were open up in the attic, so i got nosy.

I found the silver dishes my grandmother gave me, and a stack of piano music that must have been over a foot high. I also found Grandma Anne's cane and the electric race car tracks. My two brothers didn't really seal up the boxes that contains their treasures, so those were among the boxes i looked in. I let out a gasp when i saw this tangled up with Nerf guns and GI Joe's:
Enterprise D from TNG
In case you missed the signs before: I AM A TOTAL GEEK!!!! I got nuts for Star Wars and Star Trek things and i was always more obsessed with Star Trek than any of my siblings. 

I couldn't let this sit up in the attic! I just couldn't! I didn't care if it was my brother's or not. I carefully detangled it and set it aside. In another box: I found this and was so relieved because mom said she had gotten rid of it:
SOOOOOOO Not for sale. 

From the original 1970's era Millennium Falcon cutaway model. I don't have exact dates, but i wouldn't even consider selling either. My oldest brother put this together and had it sitting in his closet for years before mom finally cleaned out his room after he left the nest. And it's just been sitting in the attic ever since.

No one was around but when i got a glimpse of the cockpit and the recognition finally hit my brain, i'm certain that i made some kind of bug-eyed, unintelligible noise of OMG!!!!!

So far, i have not been able to locate all of the pieces, but dad assures me that he has seen the cut-away cover, and the figurines recently, and that he would never let mom throw them out. After Easter, I'll be going back up into the attic with a better light to locate as many of the remaining pieces that i can find. 

I took what i had home and gently cleaned them up with some warm water, and now they're back to a more appropriate luster. The plastic has tinged yellow with age, but I'm still so excited to have it. If you ask me, it looks even more authentic since the Falcon was "a hunka junk!" according to Luke. 

Bonus: 1970's Storm Trooper PEZ dispenser...which you can kinda see in the smuggler's hold. 

3 comments:

  1. Hiya! i'm a fellow nerd and found you via 20SB. oh.em.gee. what amazing attic finds!! that millenium falcon...i'm drooling!! you are one lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What perfect timing too...May the Fourth is next week!
    I'm not usually thankful for my brothers, but without them, i probably wouldn't have been exposed to these wonderful worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your site and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed
    reading your site. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

    Murree Property dealer

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>