Tuesday, September 28, 2010

ZOMG!!! It's NaNoWriMo time!!!!

The countdown begins: (warning...long post)

One more day, that's it. That's how long it will take for the NaNoWriMo site to be re-set and the NaNo community to start buzzing back into life. Right now, all of us crazy writers are sitting waiting in our stalls at the final race of the Kentucky Derby. One day till the site is reset, and we make our way to the gates. 33 until we begin our crazy breakneck journey headlong into the muck the grime and the excitement to reach that 50k.

Ok, enough with the horse analogies. But that's the amount of tension that any NaNo-er starts to feel when fall hits the air. We know it's coming...it's just around the corner. And we can't wait.

To sum up: Na No Wri Mo is National Novel Writing Month. It started in California, and slowly has spread throughout the world. It's a global friendly competition/self motivator/goal achieving phenomenon where would be authors (and some who are already published) attempt to write 50,000 words in the form of a novel in just 30 days of November. And yes...we are all partially or completely insane.

Why? I have no idea. But i look forward to it all year. It's not my lifelong goal to become a writer, although i would be immensely pleased if it were to happen. I know amazing people who that actually is a lifelong goal.

Gotta watch out for the Plot bunnies. Plot Bunnies are the tiny seeds that are sewn when the creative juices are flowing. It's an idea that will start small, and then suddenly start breeding more ideas at an alarming rate, and the next thing you know you are swamped with many tiny ideas for stories and plot changes, and if you're not careful, they will overwhelm you, distract you or worst of all...let the good ones get away!

I'm already starting to play hostess to the local group again. I found my sign, I know where my ducks are, I copied the text that I used last year for the forum sites and I'm preparing my speech.

I've had a lucky break. So two years ago, i was driving with my friend colin along a certain road when our conversation somehow broke through the barrier I'd been having with my 2008 story. In 2009, the major breakthrough on Constellations came when i was moving my apartment and driving along the same road. This year, it happened while I was driving Boyfriend Jon to a doctors appointment and took the back way to this same road.

I'm not one to be superstitious but it's kind of crazy that I distinctly remember having huge breakthroughs on this normal, suburban, road where there's nothing special in any direction.

Who knows...i'll take all the help i can get.

My story this year is looking like a combination sci fi crime novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>