Friday, October 9, 2009

Two dozen roses or a flash drive?

My father is quite the charmer when he feels like it. He can come up with the most romantic ideas and plans for them sometimes years in advance. My mother, is rather known for all but ruining them.

Take their 25th wedding anniversary.

My father saved all of his pocket change for 4 years, finally cashed it in and bought her a beautiful ring to go with her wedding band. He meticulously picked out all 5 diamonds for exceptional sparkle and personally chose the setting. He then whisked her away for a trip to Maui. He had his long time friend from the army and his wife join them. While they distracted her there, he did extensive recon to find a restaurant with a sunset view, and made the reservations. Just as the sun was going down, my father reached into the camera pouch to pull out the ring box. When he looked back up, my mother was already halfway out the door with the camera to take pictures of the sunset. His buddy and wife were too stunned to say anything. THe waiters who were in on it were shocked too. By the time my mother returned, everyone was trying not to chuckle as my dad finally handed her the ring box. She was immensely pleased...both with the ring and the pictures she took.

But nothing compares to the time he came home for no reason with two dozen red roses and a brand new flash drive back when those things were brand spankin' new. My mom promptly pounces on the proffered flash drive and takes it out of the package while my dad is still there holding the roses. The family got a good laugh out of that one.

I called my parents last night to let them know my brand new laptop had arrived a week early. My mother was excited and asked me all sorts of technical questions as i was only too delighted to answer them. My father in the background asked what was up. When she told him, there was silence. I think Dad has come to realize that given the presence of new technology, like mother like daughter...we tend to get a little over obsessively enthusiastic. And it's not really something he understands. I bet he was chuckling to himself remembering as I did the day when I got my first flashdrive and flowers on my birthday. I too...seized the flashdrive first.

So yes, my new laptop has arrived. My last one has served me faithfully for over 5 years through both high school and college. But lately i have realized that I'm growing out of it. I need more room, more capabilities, and most importantly, the ability to leave a wall for more than 10 minutes. I realize i could simply buy a new battery and call it good, but I made the investment anyway. It's time. I can only hope to have as good an experience with this one as my previous laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>