Monday, June 22, 2009

Singing

I was lucky enough to be given my mother's singing voice and octave range. And though I'm no where near as good as many, i can sing fairly well and have a good voice to work with.
In school I joined choir starting in 5th grade and again in junior high and high school. I enjoyed it, the performances, the reverberating tones when the whole group hit just the right note, the practice, the lights on my face, even the teachers.
I even took a solo performance with only 3 days practice to help out a teacher needing to fill a space at a ceremony.
I know what it's like to perform. I felt the moments of terror when my voice cracked or I failed to sit on a note correctly. Or when you forget a line and quickly look to someone for help. I can spot a great singer in the making, and the people who just think they're all dandy but are destroying their voice.

All that being said, I am in love with Susan Boyle's voice. She oddly enough reminds me of my mom.
I remember my mom singing most of the time, a sure sigh she was happy. Just random little tunes, most often with notes made up just moments before they left her voice. But they were always true to the note.
My mom can be described as eccentric. She has 19 pairs of the exact same pants just in different colors(and that's it). And there have been times when I've had to make a certain pair of Easter-grass green pants or the pepto-bismal pink jacket disappear. She even has hair that's a little frazzled at times.
So when I saw Susan Boyle walk onto stage of Britain's Got Talent, I shrugged and thought "let's see what she's got" knowing that sometimes ugly flowers smell wonderful.
What she has, is by far the best female alto voice I've heard since Ella Fitzgerald. I was captivated by the end of the first line, dumbfounded by the chorus and flabbergasted (let alone gobsmacked) by the end.
Since then I followed her through the finals. I will say only this about the results of BGT: Diversity's choreography was flashy and energetic...but it just takes coordination and teamwork. Same as a junior high marching band. A good voice is something that you're born with. And to utilize it like Susan takes tallent.
When she puts out an album...and i truely hope she does....I'll even pre order it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>