Thursday, March 12, 2009

Oragami and the ...art of Motorcycle Training

Yeah, the title is a rip off of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. (good book btw) But it's based off of current events in my life:
Origami is one of my favorite past times. I frequently will fold my napkin at restaurants, or the wrapper from a chocolate. If i have post-it notes near me when I'm in the company of children, I'll make a hopping frog. Much to my delight, word spread around work that i like doing origami...and now i have a huge supply of paper and books with new and interesting projects in it. I'm excited.
In other exciting news, I just registered for a Motorcycle Training course. A three day class that gives you hands on training on how to ride a motorcycle. Several things made this happen now.
  • Riding a Moped along the sands of Ocean Shores was one of the most exhilerating and awesome experiances in my life. I enjoyed every moment of it, and topping the moped out at 40, wasn't fast enough for me.
  • If I can learn a car clutch, I can learn a motorcycle clutch.
  • I have a great support system with my sister. Our dad specifically told his girls that he forbid us to get a motorcycle. What does my sister do? Get's a motorcycle. When i called her to talk about it, and ask her if she would be willing to let me use her motorcycle every now and then, she agreed, provided we can figure out insurance. This means i won't have to buy a motorcycle right away until i decide it's right for me.
  • I have a willing riding partner. As a matter of fact, there is little doubt in my mind that I'll be the one saying "no thanks, not today" more often than he will. Thanks for the offer Mark.
  • Admitting that you're still scared of motorcycles because of a not so bad accident that you walked away from when you were 14 is humiliating. If i can take a fall off of a galloping horse, and get back on; i should be able to learn how to ride a motorcycle, conquer my fear instead of letting it consume me.
All in all, I'm excited for the class even though i have to wait until May to get in. At least the weather will be much more pleasant than it is currently. I swear if i wake up to ice one more day...i'm going to scream! I want sun! Warmth! Hell, i'd settle for warm rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>