Monday, September 26, 2011

The next segment of life

On Saturday, i passed the Quarter Century mark in my life. It was hailed in with an incredible gift from Boyfriend Jon which was so sweet it actually made me cry. He made me a book of pictures of us that had quotes from our many conversations.

I think my favorite out of all of them is:
A - I just got a really nice compliment. Ian called me a genius like four times in one conversation.
A - I just found sawdust in my ear.
J - LOL

That and he bought me a star globe that lights up my whole room. A perfect gift for an avid star gazer and someone who had stars painted on her ceiling until she was 21. It was wonderful.

The next day we met up with friends Annie and Ian and Ian's sister and went to the Fair where we all rode one of the more sedate roller coasters. Though i think Jon and Annie might disagree on the "sedate" part. We watched Mutton Busting (kids riding sheep like bulls) and that was hilarious if outrageously hot (no shade). We visited the animals, and ate all sorts of weird stuff. I personally didn't partake of the deep fried stick of butter or fried Oreo, but those were among the discards.

After that, was dinner with a more extensive group of friends at Red Robin after an extensive reservation debacle. For the record, restaurant chains should have consistent policies regarding reservations. Not, this one takes reservations but that one doesn't.

I visited with friends i hadn't seen in more than a year, chatted about how life was treating us, and generally had a wonderful time. But I gratefully sank into bed almost as soon as we got home. My legs were worn out.

On Sunday, i had some serious news reach my family. A long time friend of mine (from back to the tween years) was hit by an IED in Afghanistan. Thank goodness he's ok if a little beat up. His unit also made it back ok, a little worse for wear but all alive. Since his birthday is the day after mine, i personally can't think of a better birthday gift than surviving something like that.

I wish wars like this didn't come practically every generation. I hate watching real people being used as pawns up for the discard. I will gladly defend this country with my dying breath, but i don't think we should go overseas to do it. That becomes a very slippery slope in my opinion.

In other news, how is it possible that i started out with 8 drawers filled to the brim with stuff, replaced them with 8 drawers which were shallower both in deapth and height....and i now have 2 almost completely empty drawers. Especially considering that i didn't really throw anything away besides a few scraps of paper?
How odd is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>