Monday, May 2, 2011

Sunshine at long last!

We had an absolutely gorgeous sunny day yesterday. Spring finally came to the Pacific Northwest.

We never made the bike ride. It turns out that our bikes were in sore need of repair, but we had no way of transporting them to my parents house where there were tools like an air compressor.

Early in the day, Boyfriend Jon proved (again) how sweet he is, and helped me wash my car, clean out the trunk and vacuum the whole thing. It was so nice to get that done, and I instantly felt better. We then went for a picnic to the nearby Kirkland waterfront....which was jam packed with families, couples, dogs, ducks and seagulls. We turned our be-sunglass-ed faces up to the welcome warm rays, and shivered at the breeze coming off the water. Just a few more degrees, and everything would have been perfect.

We threw Ritz crackers to duck pairs, who got a little amorous nearby. They weren't shy of us at all, even waddled right under the nose of a spaniel who was sitting up on the bench with his owners as they tried to keep the squirming and woofing dog from pouncing.

Eventually, Jon and I had separate tasks to do so we each went home. But the sunshine still called to me. Even when i should have been folding laundry, or cleaning my kitchen, i found every excuse possible to walk outside. I even made three trips to the mailboxes and back...on a Sunday.

I hemmed the translucent curtains i put up and finally got around to cutting the board to stop my sliding glass door from opening. I refilled my bird feeder even though i know the chickadees and juncos will make a mess all over my patio again. I was able to sit there still enough while i was sewing the curtains with just the screen between me and the birds. They were so close i could have reached out and pet them. And they sang for all they were worth as happy as i was with the sunshine.

A pair of brown wild rabbits jumped and hopped all through the swamp, back and forth as i watched them...a foolish grin on my face.

Saturday, I spent with my dad, finally overcoming the problem that had been plaguing us for days. The drawers. I hadn't counted on the fact that the shortest full extension sliders that were available were 14 inches. I thought i might have been able to get away with a 12 inch set. This didn't work because the drawer was meant to be 13.5 inches deep.
After trying to figure out a way to make it work with the existing side pieces for two hours, I finally resigned and cut new ones with the additional half inch. In the end i'll loose a half inch on the front and back of the lip...but that's hardly noticeable.
The full set so far. Not finished yet.

2 comments:

  1. The weather yesterday was so amazing that I wore capris and short sleeves to work today thinking that the sun would carry over...and of course, it's raining. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel any better, i wore a yellow cardigan to remind the sun what color we're supposed to see. It didn't work.

    But hey, it's Seattle. Id rather have sunny weekENDS and rainy weekDAYS than vice versa.

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>