Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Geeking out in time for camping

I have an opportunity to play with a Kindle for a few months for free. I'm just as excited to be playing with a new piece of technology as i am to start a few new books. I think I've downloaded about 55 novels to it already. Mostly that i haven't read in years, Science Fiction, and Fantasy novels with a few oddballs thrown in for some flair. It will be a great addition to the camping trip.

As a teenager, with no bills, no work, no obligations...55 books would normally pose little challenge to me. That was a standard summer. Of course they were young adult novels like Anne McCaffrey, Tamora Pierce, Piers Anthony, and Mercedes Lackey. Not...Frankenstein or The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I read like my dad, who's been known to plow through a  Tom Clancy novel or Clive Cussler thriller in less than a weekend. My mom on the other hand takes somewhere near a month to read a 300 page novel.

The geek in me is also really excited because it looks like a PADD from Star Trek!!!! I will admit I've daydrempt a little that i was wandering the corridors of the enterprise and might run into Captain Picard. (I'm a geek! Daydreams like this really do come to mind and make me smile).

The same time i got a hold of the Kindle, Boyfriend Jon got a Nook-Color. Which, in comparison...is SOOOO PRETTY! Given the choice between the two, i'm much more interested in the Nook. But the Kindle is free for now. Not to mention i have much better battery life and it's lighter. Now if only i could stop accidentally hitting the keyboard at the bottom.

My future e-reader will probably be color, small, light, with wifi and a minimal amount of buttons. And while i'm busy day dreaming, it will connect with the enterprise main computer and respond to voice commands too. Just kidding.

Our camping plans are moving along a lot faster now that Boyfriend Jon and I are taking the time to sit down and collaborate on meals,  equipment and how to pack everything into my tiny economy car. I feel a lot more confident knowing that we're already on the same page. On the menu is egg, sausage and potatoe hash combinations for breakfast, grilled cheese and soup for lunches, and Mac&Cheese plus hotdogs and Hobo style for dinners. Also going to try my hand at making popcorn in an pot (not my dad's super cool old fashioned popcorn maker with turn wheel and not an air popper). Oh yeah, and the making for smores are a must. Right now, i feel like this weekend can't come fast enough.

I'm so thankful this week is moving along quickly. It's been two and a half weeks since my counterpart left for a trip to Hawaii. And two and a half weeks since I've had a day of work not accompanied by a migraine as everyone tries to convince me that their work has highest priority even though it's not due for a week. The two of us, normally cover an array of jobs that used to be covered by five people. It's just not feasible to expect one person to do the job of 5!

So, i look forward to her return later this week. Mostly so that i can dump HER work back on HER desk and then escape to a world that has neither work nor desks for a long weekend with Boyfriend Jon to celebrate a year and a half long relationship that is composed of frequent Geekery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>