Monday, May 24, 2010

Spring Clean is complete

I had been "moved" into my apartment for almost two months. There were still boxes everywhere, and moving from room to room was an obstacle course. I have been assuring boyfriend Jon that i don't normally live with this much mess. That when i lived alone before for those few short months, my house was kept at a reasonable state of clean.
He really had not had a lot of reason to believe me. Let's just leave it at that.
I decided about three weeks ago that i needed a serious incentive to finish unpacking and getting my apartment to the state i had envisioned. My only problem was that some of the stuff had no where to go. But that was efficiently taken care of by the creation of my DVD stand and my TV stand. Both are now in place and filled with all the random stuff that had been taking over my living room.
I also got my dad's help framing and my mother's help in hanging the wall art which has been sitting in my dresser drawers for a little over a year. Mirriors, calendars, wall sconces, floating shelves, and white boards all went up. The remaining six boxes were emptied and taken out to the recycle bins. Stuff magically found places, and slowly but surely, i was all but done.
I sat down and literally a minute later, my incentive to complete these tasks...arrived. I had invited my family over for a bbq. A couple of my oldest friends were able to join us too. Next thing i knew my home was filled It's looking like my capacity is about 8 before the place becomes too cramped.
I was exhausted, sore, and bordering on cranky but very happy to see people i care about enjoying themselves in my new home. There was good food, good company and my dad even had an audience to regale with stories.
And even though i was happy to share my now clean home with my family and friends...i was also relieved when they helped me clean up, take some of the extra food and leave. I was exhausted and promptly laid down. Had i known how tired i was going to be, i might have canceled. But I'm glad now that i didn't. I simply MUST do this again soon.

And just when i thought i could lay down and recover with some deep sleep...my smoke detector goes berzerk at 1:10am. It took me 45 minutes to figure out that No, my apartment was not on fire, No....there was no carbon monoxide, No, it didn't need fresh batteries....but that we had a power outage and the beeping was just it resetting itself. Turns out...the is only one way to tell that i have had a power outage. My microwave clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>