Thursday, May 13, 2010

6 months ago...

It's hard to believe that just six months ago, the person who makes me laugh and puts up with my craziness was just another acquaintance. Someone i talked to occasionally and had met by some random occurrence. I had no idea that we would be drawn to each other, and helped along by a loyal friend into the most natural feeling relationship i have ever been in.

I met Jon two years ago as part of Nano. He had shown up to the local meet where i had also joined. I had some initial attraction to him, most of which i had attributed to the fact that the rest of the team was older men and women. He had a big genuine smile and an interesting story concept. But after some cautious testing of the waters, i figured he wasn't interested but might eventually fall into the friend category. Our playful banter and friendly competition was a highlight of Nano 2008. But to my disappointment, when Nano was over, so was our only means of communication.

I didn't hear from him again for a very long time. When Nano 2009 rolled around, it was on a lark that i sent out an invitation message to everyone i had contacted the previous year. And only one person responded. Jon.

When he showed up at the Nano meet i was orchestrating, i was so excited to see another familiar face that i gave him a huge hug.

Thus began a very uncertain courtship dance, carefully worded emails, not so subtle inquiries and funny gaffes. It's a comedy now...looking back on how we both were talking to my friend Annie about possibilities, finding excuses to hang out and hoping that the other one had not brought someone else with, and still all the while in a friendly competition just like the previous year.

The thirteenth of November, 2009 happened to fall on a Friday. Thankfully, that turned out to be a day of good luck. I got my boyfriend Jon that day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>