Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Good friends to keep drama at bay

Yesterday, i felt like i was a magnet for hostility. Everyone at work seemed to be more intense, more agitated, more confrontational , and blatantly snide yesterday. Perhaps it was just an overall bad day for everyone and it was just filtering down to me. Perhaps I was being overly sensitive. But by the end of the day, i just felt wrung out and exhausted. Drama has a way of taking so much out of you. And in this world of so much politically correct, polite snarkyness...you don't dare just tell someone at work to back the F off and mind their own business.

My noticing this probably wasn't helped by my plans to have some much needed friends time and the fact that I haven't made nearly as much progress as I had hoped to in my apartment unpacking. While i know my friends are laid back and probably didn't really care....it bothered me that there were boxes everywhere, hastily stacked so that there was room to hang out. And the stress from that also wasn't helping my mood.

But shortly after their arrival, after a small glass of blackberry wine, and some inside jokes, my stress level was extinguished by all the laughter. I was happy to share my favorite meal with people who have spent a great deal of time lately helping me through a rough spot. And it wasn't until after they left that I decided I must do this again and more often. No roommates to coordinate with, no need to clean up INSTANTLY after a party for fear of incurring their wrath. Everything was just more relaxed and worries just melted away. I was free to just enjoy my time with people who make me feel good about myself and leave me free to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>