Monday, November 14, 2011

NaNo 2011 - Day 14

I have really got to get more stern with myself over the subject of NaNo and the subject of sleep. Staying up until after midnight on a night when i need to be up at six is not a good idea. I know this very well from previous years when i have stumbled into work and done everything possible to not let my head droop onto my desk where i will surely fall into a deep snoring slumber.

Yet every year, i end up growing bags under my eyes and yawning through a meeting or two. Really, by now i should know better. And still, that didn't stop me from hitting the snooze button three times more than i should have...sleeping in an additional half hour this morning. Too late to grab a shower (thank god for dry shampoo) too late to put together a new outfit (thank god for cardigans) and too late to arrive on time (mostly because i almost forgot my badge).

But i'm here. Working away as my mind feels like it's filled with fuzz.

Three pieces of good news.

1) I decided to take a break at lunch and re-read what i have done so far in my story. It started out to just be a reminder, but I ended up listening to my voice as an author. I had been thinking that my story beginning was 14k words of pure crap. But in reality, it wasn't half bad. It's drawn out and there's very little to keep anyone reading, but the writing is good and my characters are talking a great deal more than normal. So thus far, it's just a slow start story. Which is better than i had expected from myself. I know we're all our worst critics. But it feels about 10x as molasses like when it takes you a day to get through each chapter.

2) I found my Kindle! it was hiding in the couch cushion. this is a good thing because over the weekend, i wasn't very inclined to write as i should have been and i was able to pick up the Hunger Games that i had just barely started before NaNo. Normally, i intensely dislike first person narrative books. But this one has genuinely captivated me. I like the setting and the character is believable. I'm always a sucker for a female who's a survivor. Although the story line is extremely similar to Battle Royale (Koushun Takami) which was written about 5 years earlier...it's still good in its own way. But then again, i adore the Avatar movie even though is basically Dances With Wolves.

3) On Sunday the 13th, i celebrated my 2 year anniversary with Boyfriend Jon. True to our normal form, we hung out with a friend, played some board games, went out for a good meal, wandered around the scary Walmart, then went home and went right back to writing. We lead such extravagant lives.
As for reaching the two year mark, all i can say is that it doesn't feel like it. Most of the time i still feel like we're in the giddy, silly, blissful stage usually seen around the three to six month stage of a relationship. I love this man and don't know what i'd do without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>