Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sayings

In my life, i've picked up sayings, quotes, or limericks. They travel with me in the back of my head, much as they do with anyone else.

The one on my mind right now is more of a play on words than an actual quote. I got it when i worked my second official job at a movie theater. I had been slated to work in the box office because my till was always spot on. And they had us throw up all these window decals for Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion film (wow, that just dated me).

I cannot stress to you how much i hate window decals. I have some kind of OCD when it comes to windows. Streaks are like nails on a chalkboard for me. Bird poop has me shaking my fist at the bird who dared fly over my car and relieve itself. And unless window decals are put on perfectly....i can spend literally hours pressing out the bubbles. Which is why my normal station was regularly cleaned between rushes for all the people who poked at the glass or annoying kids smudging their dirty noses and mouths all over.

Anyway, back to the decals. There was one decal on my side of the box office glass that took me a while to figure out. Hey, i was 16. In keeping with the haunted mansion theme...it was a headstone with the "name" Claire Voyant. Read it fast, and you have clairvoyant or someone that can see or know what other people can't. Soon after that, i started telling people who had assumed i knew something. "My name is Anne ...not Claire Voyant"

Sometimes i wish it were just that easy. To be able to understand where people are coming from without them having to tell you. To see why they feel the way they do, and what is prompting them to react in a certain way. Sometimes it seems like it would make everything better. And then i realize that it would also take away how we learn for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>