Monday, February 8, 2010

Wilton's Cake Course 2 Pre-class

So thanks to TLC's the Cake Boss and the cake challenges. I have become enamored with cake decorating.
As a kid, i quickly figured out that my dad's special icing was my all time favorite. It was better by far than the store bought kind and it worked better when decorating the cakes. Delicatly sweet and fluffy. It was nothing short of perfect.
My dad used to work in a bakery store accross the street from his childhood home. He started there at just 10 years old sweeping the floors. There he learned under the Itallian pastry chef extraordinaire Angelo. Years later, he doesn't even have to look at the recipe to make it. It took me several years of negotiating and begging to learn the recipe. I think i was about sixteen before he finally relented and taught his method to me and explained why the different ingredients blended better that way.
But that wasn't enough to ignite my passion. Sure dad's cakes always tasted amazing compared to store bought, but they were simple, plain and only decorated with a border and some writing. It wasn't until i saw the incredible works of art being produced that it became my new obsession.
A co-worker and I looked at the local cake decorating classes and seeing that they were very reasonably priced...I signed up.
I'm really looking forward to this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>