Monday, May 14, 2012

Solo flight

Last Monday feels like a month ago. So much has happened.

Most notably was the phone call i got at noon on Monday from Boyfriend Jon.

His grandmother who hasn't been doing well for a while, took an abrupt turn for the worse. Within five hours, Boyfriend Jon was on a plane headed for his hometown. He let me know that he had landed, and when he arrived at his parents house, but obviously there was a lot more going on, and he wasn't able to communicate with me.

We talked infrequently and briefly. But i did hear a lot in that short amount of time. Jon's family, both by blood and not circled the wagons around his grandma during her final days. They surrounded her with stories, played Hawaiian music for her (she's Hawaiian), called those people that couldn't make the trip, and said their goodbyes. It seemed more like a joyous celebration of her life than an anguish filled gathering mourning her.

I was only able to meet her once, and she was recovering from something and staying with Jon's family while i visited. She seemed very imposing, and i was nervous about meeting her. Some of her facial expressions left me wondering if i had done or said something wrong but after a while i realized she was just thinking. Once i got over my initial trepidation, i realized she was a warm and had a great sense of humor. She was just happy being with her family and having the Food Network on 24/7. There were points when i was talking with her that i could see her eyes twinkle and a small part of her younger and more lively self showed through. I wish i had been able to know her as Boyfriend Jon knew her, but at least i got to hear her side of the stories about him as a kid. That was highly entertaining. I was so glad to have met her and talk with her and i know her approval of me made Boyfriend Jon very happy.

She died with family by her side on Wednesday. The funeral won't be for a couple weeks when they can get everything arranged. Boyfriend Jon and I will be making the 14 hour drive south to California for the funeral, then turning around and coming right back home.

Boyfriend Jon came home to me on Friday night While he had been gone, i was hardly inactive. I started cutting the wood for the media stand i intend to build. I put the shelves that had been in my pantry at my last place in the outdoor storage area so that we could make better use of the space in order to store our camping gear and other miscellaneous stuff. I hung out with my sister, and much to his surprise, i cleaned the entire house including re-folding all my clothes so they sat in the shelves better. I even managed to fix the vacuum which was smoking and making a really bad smell. I think that took a load off his shoulders when he came in because he just looked at me all blissful and said, very clearly relieved,...."you cleaned".

We missed each other a lot though. Saturday, he treated me to a date day complete with breakfast, a movie and dinner, then we curled up and watched Lady and the Tramp, a movie neither of us had seen in at least a decade. I was so happy he was home, i think i must have said it at least a dozen times. It's not that i'm incapable of taking care of myself or that i need him there to give my life purpose, but i'm amazed that in so short a time, I've grown accustomed to having him there that i long for him when he's not, and cling to him when he gets back.  I'm also very glad he's not leaving for another full week at the end of this month again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>