Friday, June 10, 2011

The Project List keeps growing

Yesterday was very productive. Right after work, headed straight for Bed Bath and Beyond to get a mattress pad and a set of sheets that will fit my new mattress. When i got there, i started looking through the mattress pads, and just getting confused. Suddenly i hear this overly happy car salesman like voice behind me. I turned around the the regional manager was standing there offering to help me find what i was looking for.

"Well hi there miss! Can i help you find anything in particular?" he said with a politicians smile.
"Um sure. I need a mattress pad that's waterproof but doesn't crinkle or make noise when i move around on it." i said
"oh well those cheap ones won't do what you're looking for. You're going to want one of these 80 dollar pads!" he said directing me to a different section.My heart sank as he said this cause i was looking for the cheapest option that would do the job and i was already agonizing over the 50$ one i had been looking at. Then i noticed the yellow tag above the display: 50% off! I pointed it out and his politicians smile faltered for a second and then he recovered by saying "See, it was meant to be". He offered to get me a cart and then stayed by my elbow  asking if there was anything else i needed today.

I made the mistake of mentioning that i was going to color match my comforter and he wanted to come along and show me where i could find the sheets...as if the section was invisible or guarded by an ogre or something. Now, I am not a passive person by nature, but before i had a chance to tell him i would be fine, he thrust a display pillow case into my hands and started telling me about what thread count really meant. The sheets were wonderful and i could feel the high quality smoothness of the fabric. I asked him how much, and he looked at the price tag. "59.99!" he said. Elation washed over me before the skeptic in me became curious. That's when i noticed that the package said Fitted Sheet. Next to it was the Flat Sheet package, and i quickly realized that it was 59.99 EACH.
I told the manager that it was way out of my price range as far as a set was concerned, and told him, that would be a reasonable price if it was a set already. He then scratched his head and looked around dubiously. So i walked away down the isle, looking at the options myself. Eventually I found a pale blueish green sheet set that worked with my comforter and was the same price. But my luck was running as high as could be. It was 20 % off already and i had an two additional 20% off coupons.

When i left the store, I had a total of 62$ in savings. I made out like a bandit.

Last night i finally put the first coat of varnish on my end tables and coffee table. It took me 3 hours. I went into my obsessive mode where i didn't even notice that i hadn't eaten yet, or that it was getting dark out. I just kept working, plugging away, making sure i did a good job for the first coat. Thankfully this will be the only coat for the interior where it only matters that it gets sealed, not necessarily looks pretty and shiny. Putting on the remaining coats for the outside will take a lot less time.

But i apparently haven't kicked my building bug. Cause as soon as i'm done with this, i have the bed frame to alter and refinish...and then i have another plan brewing in my head. Given that my bedroom is the only place i haven't built custom furniture and i'm still using bleh...particle board dresser....the carpentry wheels in my head are turning again.

2 comments:

  1. You are on a roll! Push salespeople are the worst. I know they're doing their job and all but c'mon. I just tell them that I'll come find them if I need any help...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be fair, he was helpful if...unmindful that i'm 20 something with an obvious limited income. And as far as i know, they're not on commission so i would have expected a bit of inattentiveness. This guy was just nice enough to skirt the edge of creepy-used car salesmen-like-ness. Oh well, i still made out like a bandit.

    ReplyDelete

<$CommentPager$>