Monday, July 26, 2010

Wedding Cakes and Monday review.

Wedding season. Also known as summer. Three friends of mine are getting married this year and another pair have announced the date for next summer.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so happy about only being invited to one wedding ceremony. But my budget is a little limited to be dropping the socially acceptable 50$ on people I hardly know and haven't really talked to in the last few years.

I am happy though, that the couple who did invite me are two wonderful people who have actually been the sole reason I still believe in True Love. I've known the groom since fourth grade. We had a very weird and rough start to our friendship (mostly my fault) but I count him among the Select Trustables. People who understand me, esoteric though I am, and still can care about me despite all my faults. Through him, I met the bride. Another no-nonsense, anti-silly and non-air headed female who shares my preference to be outspoken and sassy. They overcame their own version of Romeo and Juliet minus the tragedy and in just a couple short weeks will become Mr. and Mrs. ......not to mention the first of our junior high group to fall to that title.

After talking with the bride, it sounded like she needed a helpful set of hands to help with the wedding more than she needed a crystal candelabra or a crock pot.
My contribution to this couple is the wedding cake. I took the Wilton's decorating class, and after a couple practice cakes, felt confident in my abilities to complete this task. That was...until. the first practice cake for this wedding...took a flying leap off of the platter I was transporting it in for the taste test. I had to salvage it carefully and was horribly upset with the results. But I didn't have nearly enough time to start over. So I tried again the next week. The results the second time around where great. The bride LOVED the changes to the recipe I made and was completely satisfied with the design, the flavor, the filling and the colors.

Behold the Devil's Food cake with cherries and shaved dark chocolate in the middle with my dad's special butter cream icing recipe, fondant and pearled sprinkles.

From Firefly's Haven


Also...putting up deck railing....leads to lots of stiffness and muscle pain the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>