Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Gradual diminishing

I woke up early yesterday morning, looking around for who was nudging my bed. By the time i realized that we were having a minor earthquake, it was already over. I stayed awake for several more minutes to see if it would start up again, but within ten minutes, i estimate that i was passed out again.
Later, I started out yesterday in SUCH a good mood. I woke up on time without any residual tiredness at all, enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, I even got to work early and the sun was shining. At work, everyone was all abuzz about the earthquake. And despite my distaste for hypochondriacs, i found myself feeling exuberant. I texted my boyfriend. Originally from California...i figured he had slept straight through the earthquake.

"Top news story of the day! There was an earthquake...and we actually FELT it! OMG!"
"Lol"
"Yeah, we are such lightweights when it comes to earthquakes"
"Lol"

The day went along like normal. Broken copy machines (also known as 'Load Paper'), phone calls, power point presentations, metrics, and trying to stay out of trouble.

I'm not really sure what started to happen. But i found that as the day progressed, with every new person that i talked to, my mood was diminishing. But 4:00pm, i was hiding in my cubicle working on some tedious "extra" metrics so that i wouldn't have to talk to anyone. By the time 5:00 rolled around, all i wanted to do the rest of the night was something that didn't involve technology, media, or people.
I went home, turned off my laptop, put my phone on silent and started reading a book I had borrowed, but had been too busy in the last couple of weeks to start.
I'll save the review for later. But i got through about 220 out of 286 pages in about 3 hours. I fell asleep with my finger between the pages sitting in my oversize chair and didn't move again until almost 1am where i transferred myself to my bed and slept again.
It felt good after such a long absence to go back to just the simple things that i spent most of my youth living for. I would read sometimes in upwards of forty books a summer.

All i know is that the last thing i wanted was to talk to anyone. I started the day in such a good mood, with a smile on my face and a bounce in my step. And i ended it hiding under a warm blanket with a book and more pumpkin seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

<$CommentPager$>